Spaghetti bolognese (593 kcal) – Serves 5 – 6
• 500g lean minced beef
• 1 medium chilli, de-seeded and finely chopped (optional)
• 1 medium onion, finely chopped
• 2 celery sticks, trimmed and finely sliced
• 2 medium carrots, finely diced
• 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
• 150g small mushrooms, wiped and sliced
• 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
• 2 tbsp tomato purée
• 1 beef stock cube
• 1 tsp dried oregano or 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
• 2 bay leaves
• 375g – 450g dried spaghetti
• Freshly ground black pepper
• Freshly grated parmesan cheese, for serving
1. Fry the mince in a large non-stick saucepan with the onion, celery, carrots, mushrooms and garlic for around 8-10 minutes or until the beef is browned.
2. Add the tomatoes and tomato purée, plus 300ml cold water.
3. Crumble the stock cube over the top then add the herbs. Season with ground black pepper, stir well and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat and simmer gently for 30-40 minutes.
4. Cook the spaghetti in a saucepan of boiling water according to the packet instructions.
5. While the spaghetti is cooking, increase the heat under the sauce and simmer for another 10 minutes or until the liquid is reduced, stirring occasionally to make sure it doesn’t stick.
6. Serve the cooked spaghetti and bolognese sauce with a sprinkle of grated parmesan cheese.