Sweet and sour chicken stir fry with noodles (575 kcal) – Serves 4
• 2 tbsp vegetable oil
• 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, sliced into strips
• 1 small red pepper, chopped
• 1 small green pepper, chopped
• Thick thumb-size piece of fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
• 3 garlic cloves, chopped
• 150g mushrooms, sliced
• 220g can water chestnuts, drained and sliced
• 1 bunch spring onions, sliced
• 1 small can sliced pineapple, drained and cut into chunks
• 200g sugar snap peas
• 920g boiled plain noodles
For the sauce:
• 1 tbsp soft light brown sugar
• 2 tbsp rice vinegar
• 3 tbsp rice wine or dry sherry
• 2 tbsp dark soy sauce
• 175ml chicken stock
• 2 tbsp tomato purée
• 2 tbsp cornflour mixed with 2 tbsp water
• 1/2 tsp chilli powder (optional)
1. Heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan.
2. Fry the chicken, peppers, mushrooms, ginger and garlic until the chicken is just starting to brown, then add the water chestnuts, spring onions, pineapple and sugar snap peas, and fry for about 30 seconds.
3. Add the ingredients for the sauce to the chicken and vegetables and bring to the boil.
4. Reduce the heat and simmer gently for around 5 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
5. Serve with the noodles.