• 1 medium sized cucumber, washed and peeled
• 2 litres water
• a few mint leaves and lemon slices (optional)
1. Using a sharp knife, cut the cucumber lengthwise in half. Slice the two halves into pieces .25-.5 inch (.6-1.25 cm) thick.
2. If desired, seed the cucumber by removing the soft middle portion with a spoon prior to slicing. Cucumber seeds are edible, but some people may prefer not to include them in the drink.
3. Put the cucumber slices in the pitcher. Allow the cucumber to steep in the water for at least an hour before drinking so the flavour will infuse in the water. Garnish with the mint leaves and lemon slices, if using.
4. Stir it gently before serving. This can be made the night before and stored covered in the refrigerator.
5. When the water seems less flavourful, discard or eat the remaining cucumber slices.
Consume the cucumber water within two days.